Thursday, 10 March 2016
PE01 and PE02 houses monitored in Previ.
PE03 is a house of an upper middle class family.
PE01 and PE03 are occupied all the time, whereas PE02 only late in the evenings.
· Thermal sensation observation from researchers is that , at 29 C and 64 RH people did not complain about excessive heat.
· The tenants believe they can maintain comfort through air movement
· At the same time, it was noticed that in winter excessive air movement was a source of cold discomfort (two windows in one room on opposite sides, with a leaky window and
· PE01 and PE02 did not have any solar gain. The house PE01 was North-South oriented. PE03 instead is west oriented therefore there is solar gain in the late afternoons.
· Researchers are noticing some social expectation/construct in energy use: like the fact that in Lima there is no warm water for hand/dish washing for houses PE01 and PE02.
· PE03 was surveyed in the evening and the indoor temperature (28.6 C) was higher than the external temperature (26 C) for a total of 2 degree difference. In addition PE03 had an indoor RH of 70.2 % whereas outdoors was 72%.
The use of energy use for comfort, house PE01 have 3 fans, house PE02 none. PE02 was designed (and still it is) to optimize the cross ventilation. To the point that the tenant does not have a fan (something unusual) and that the inner temperature experienced by the researcher was lower. It was noticed that the interiors of PE02 were also white painted instead of dark colours. In PE03 there were 4 fans whose are turn on all the time of occupied hours during summer and on e
of the users while sleeping in PE03.
· DHW, is used only to shower (no dishes cleaning, no hands washing) both houses use electric shower. In PE01 the electric shower is used in only in July- August-September, house PE02 they have recently started living there (1 month) and have not made use of electrical shower. PE03 uses an electric tank that is always (during the year) turned on and the residents take 2 or 3 showers a day during summer.
· Energy is also used for cooking and home appliances in all three houses.
· Lighting: in all houses almost all bulbs were compact fluorescent. The reason for it is that the occupants were conscious of energy bills.
· Miscellaneous devices: notably PE01 has a large number of entertainment appliances (7 tv, 11 mobile phones, 5 music players, 2 desk computers, 3 laptops and 3 tablets). House PE02 have very few appliances however most of them were entertainment devices. In all houses there is an average of one TV per adult and mobile phones. Instead the energy for comfort in PE03 was more than one fan per person. PE03 is the only house with tumble dryer even so the is a terrace in the roof.
· Desirable appliances, house PE01, PE02 and PE03 would like to have appliances in substitution of old ones (not additional appliances). In addition, house PE02 would like to have a washing machine with no dryer due to elevated energy consumption.
· PE01 is assumed to be owned. They spend 30% of the house expenditure in energy
· PE02 is rented. They spend 10% of the household expenditure in energy related bill.
· The apparent difference could lie in the fact that house PE01 owned and PE02 rented hence the PE02 has more household expenditure in general and energy covers a smaller proportion.
· PE01 are paying for the connection to the mains of gas (only 50% of houses in this district are connected to the main gas distribution) (1)
· PE03 do not opt for behavioural changes to reduce energy.